Well after unsuccessfully trying to get my cousins and uncle to go fishing at the swift with me I decided to head to the quinnie. Walking down I was met by 2 people fishing the main pool. The guys were very nice and we chatted for a little while as I rigged up. One was tossing a lure and the other was fishing worms. The worm guy caught 3 while I was talking with his buddy. I decide to start with a pair of soft hackles. They were not that productive mainly due to my slow reactions. Leaving the big pool and heading up stream to the next run produced nothing. Similar to when I fished it with dad. Since I had enough of that I decided to head down stream. I have been down there much this year. Fishing my way down there produced a tiny brook trout in some pocket water on a hairs ear. Working down stream produced a nice lively brown in a deep plunge pool. He came hard for a hairs ear and after a few good runs was released unharmed. Well that was 2 of the 3 species of trout that can be found on this river. So far this year the Rainbows and Brookies have been hard to find so while I was hopeful for a 3 species day you can never tell. Working my way down didn't produce much in the heavy water. Finally reaching the Pine Tree pool I was hopeful but not optimistic. Last time I was down here it did not produce much of anything. When the flooding happened a few years ago the pool changed a bit and has never been as good as it once was. However my pessimism was unnecessary as shortly after entering the pool I hooked up with the final trout in my 3 species day. Meg has been bugging me to keep some fish lately and since this river gets really low and warm in the summer it is unlikely the rainbows that are stocked will survive. So in order to appease my daughter I decided to keep him (lower fish). He really didn't fight all that well and pretty much bull dogged it staying the center of the stream. He also tired quite quickly which is not surprising given the water temp. I assumed that he would not be enough for the family so decided to continue to see if he had a buddy in the same hole. After a little while a second fish also came to hand taking the same curved bead head pheasant tail as the first and came home for dinner. Needless to say Meg loved the fresh trout which given her love of fish is not all that surprising and one fish was enough for the family as Nora did not like it one bit.
June 3, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment