After Mother Nature decided to dump over 0.5" of rain on the river yesterday I managed to get out before work this morning. The river was cool (61F) and the water was flowing (56cfs). Which is to say this cool wet spring has been good for this river. I started out with a pheasant tail and hairs ear nymph combo. That has been working nicely on this river all spring. It seems the fish are keyed up on one or the other. Today the Dace liked the pheasant tail in the section of quicker water up from the trout brook pool. Working up stream further found me needing to add some length to the indicator. Once that was accomplished this fellow came to hand after a nice fight in which he put himself on the reel quickly. After this terrible pic of him he self released showing he still had some fight left in him. Getting the monkey off my back I switched to some soft hackles I had tied last night. Using the same tandem of a hairs ear and pheasant tail except this time in soft hackle I worked my way back down stream. I have come to realize that I am a terrible soft hackle fisherman. I have no faith in the technique and when I get a strike (of which there were numerous today) I fail to manage to get the hook set. As with many things I'm sure with some practice I will eventually get it down but it is very frustrating to have suck hard takes with nothing to show for it.
June 6, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment