May 17, 2014

West river

West river...a former top 5 wild trout fishery of Massachusetts.   Every year I try and fish this river with my Dad. You see this is where I first learned to trout fish.  My Dad lived near one of the tributaries when he was a kid a he used to know this river like it was his back yard - mainly because in that day and age it was. Anyway the last couple of years have been hard in this river as the beaver have moved in and dammed what was a nice free flowing river into at best a warm water pond.  Dad and I made the yearly trip to the river with the promise of trout. Unfortunately the only fish willing to cooperate were the ever present dace and after catching enough to loose track of how many I had enough to carry me through till next year's pilgrimage. Hairs ear ruled the day.  Size did not matter.

No comments: