July 21, 2014
East Branch
Got out to fish with Billy on the East Branch on Saturday 19th for the evening hatch. What a nice river. WE went to the gorge area and parked the Prius at the entrance and took his truck down the access road - Thank goodness as I'm not sure the Prius would have made it all the way down the road. Caught a couple of rainbows and a brown. I was trying for a brookie as Billy said he caught one earlier and it would have been neat to catch the trout trifecta on a different river. All but one of the fish came on soft hackles. The rown came to a fire orange soft hackle which he took with him when he was released as I could not for the life of me get the hook out of the fishes mouth. I turned and lost another fish in the same hole using an yellow soft hackle as well. I then decided to start nymphing seeing as I had already caught a fish on a soft hackle. I have been playing with these flies all spring and still can't quite get the feel for the down and across movement of them so I have been fishing them up and down in the stream. This seems to work well for me. The next fish taken was a nice rainbow on a red bead caddis. The bow was located just where you would have expected him to be, right in the feeding seem. After that things went quite for a while. Finally I tied on a small caddis bead head in copper color with a pink soft hackle as the trailer. Nothing for the longest time. So Billy and I decided to try some new water as he was not seeing many fish either. He is still learning the river so we drove down to a nice looking area and waded in. Working up stream I found a nice seem that looked productive but could not rise a fish. Working my way further up stream I was on another nice seem just as darkness was approaching. Suddenly the fish turned on. It seemed like every other cast I was hooking into a fish. In a span of about 10 min I had brought 4 rainbows to hand some of them giving quite the aerial display. AMAZINGLY all of them were caught on the PINK soft hackle!!! Go figure. I tied the fly on just to tell Meg I fished it and it was the winner for the day. Got back to the car at 9:30 and was home by 11. All in all a nice time on the river. Now I need to tie up some more soft hackles for a repeat on this river.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment